If you’re looking just looking for a quiet walk, or for some exercise, or to see some unusual local wildlife then Ravenfield Park is worth a visit. Whatever the season Ravenfield can be seen in a different light whether it is the green shoots of spring, the sun and shadows of summer the golden colours of autumn or the frost shrouded silver birch in winter.
On entering the Park visitors will find a map of the area showing the footpaths and giving an indication of the Park’s history and wildlife. Further detailed information can be found on this web site. (About Us)
Leaving the sign and travelling left the footpath traverses the side of the valley giving views of the ponds below and looking down the valley itself. After a few hundreds of metres the path drops to the level of the ponds via a series of steps which have been incorporated into the hillside. At the bottom on the right is the Gt. Pond and a stock pond. To the left are the remnants of a tip situated in a valley which once lead to Ravenfield Hall.
The path then enters open countryside giving views of both the Bridge and Burcliffe Ponds with Hooton Roberts in the distance.
In the spring time the whole area leading down to the bottom of the Park is filled with blue bells and an ideal spot for photographs.
At the bottom of the Park the footpath crosses Hooton Brook, which runs along the valley bottom, gradually rising between the bottom of Burcliffe Pond and the wall adjoining the farmers field where deer can occasionally be seen.
Just after bearing right a second route can be chosen by the more adventurous. The route climbs to the top of the other valley side by means of a series of steep steps up through the woods. For those that can make it the effort is worthwhile with views at the top across Conisborough Parks and looking back towards the Pennines. This route continues along the top of the valley before descending to rejoin the original path which has followed the main roadway along the valley bottom taking in views of the ponds and stream.
At the point where the paths join, the path begins its return journey to the entrance once again crossing Hooton Brook where an award from the Council for the Protection of Rural England for the Angling Club’s efforts in restoring the Park, is built into the bridge. After crossing between the New Pond on the left and the Carp Pond on the right the road climbs back up the hill to the entrance.
For many years a small amount of grant aid was provided by Defra to help with respect to visitor access via footpaths etc. This is no longer the case and all costs for maintenance etc are now paid for from angler’s subscriptions. You can help with these costs by making a donation towards them. If you are able to do so please contact us.
The Park is an oasis of wildlife in a ‘desert’ of agriculture, which is best seen via one of the concessionary footpaths that have been established for visitors…
It is likely that fish have been present at Ravenfield since the ponds were built. However there is little information about them until 1971 when a fisheries survey of the three original ponds…
The area we now know as Ravenfield Park is a remnant of a deer park owned by the Westby family, known to be living in Ravenfield before 1200 AD. It remained with them until 1749, when it was sold to a Miss Elizabeth Parkin…